Sunday, December 28, 2008

Favorites of 2008, Pt. 1


It's time once again for the annual rundown of my favorite music of 2008. If you're not used to this feature, it's not "my favorite cds of the year," or anything of the sort. I listen to so little new music, that would be pointless.

This is instead, "songs I overplayed this year, no matter how old." And some are really, really old. So, here we go, month to month (roughly, as my memory is slipping a little).

And let's all cross our fingers that these posts stay up - with all these links, I'm probably pushing my luck.

Winter:
Leonard Cohen - Famous Blue Raincoat
I just discovered him in a major way early this year.

Pink Martini - Lilly
It took me a couple of listens more than it probably should have to feel sure that they really were talking about a dog.

Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra - Hey Ya
Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra - Rehab
New group, old sound. Their Hits the Hits cd includes covers like the above, done in a '60s jazz style.

Stan Kenton - Black Coffee
Thanks to my friend Ellie from Flickr for this one.

Jonathan Coulton - Famous Blue Raincoat
Not a month or much more after I heard the original for the first time, I heard Coulton's version. I prefer it.

Sondre Lerche & Regina Spektor - Hell No
My friend Andrea sent me this one on a mix cd and I got hooked.

Spring:
The Coasters - Down In Mexico
Most recently from the Grindhouse Death Proof soundtrack. Also possibly the earwormiest song I heard this year.

KT Tunstall - I Want You Back
Jackson 5 cover. I don't think I've ever heard a version of this song I didn't love.

The Wild Wild West Theme
I've been Netflixing the entire series this year. I watched reruns of it on Sunday afternoons with Dad when I was a kid and loved the show then, and I'm loving it much more now. A Western, mildly spy-themed, proto-steampunk show with a definite '60s aesthetic and great sets, costuming and music.

Also, my childhood adoration of Artemus Gordon has come raging back.

Summer:

I spent a lot of time this summer driving around listening to a double mix cd I made of '70s am summer music, so there wasn't much time for lots of other music. From that mix cd, here is

Jay Ferguson - Thunder Island
and
King Harvest - Dancing In the Moonlight

Besides that, there was also Dean Martin's theme to the Matt Helm movies, Not the Marrying Kind, and The Carpenters' Superstar. (I finally got to see Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story and this got stuck in my head.)

The second half of the year is for tomorrow.

The first photo is from January's Columbus Flickrmeet tour of the Southern Theatre, the second from an April trip to Logan, Ohio with my friend Angie and the third from a trip to Sidney with my friend Susan.

7 comments:

Sparkleneely said...

Um, Superstar? Dean Martin??? Will the similarities never end???

Thank you SO MUCH for not only your blog, but for Shawn Lee!!! Just Saturday night I'd heard of them and their cover of "Toxic," and had forgotten the name. And BAM! there it was in your blog... you're the best! I have a CD for you with Kai Winding on it... will you email me your address again?

Happy New Year!!! xoxoxo

King Harvest said...

Thanks for including Dancing in the Moonlight!

Dane said...

Karen: I posted one today too that I think you'll like! And I'm happy to help with the Shawn Lee - I fell in love with those songs instantly. You're too sweet to send me that cd. I'll email you my address again.

King Harvest: OMG! How cool! Thanks for coming by and commenting! I have loved that song forever ... it just got a ton of extra play this year. Congrats on getting the rights to your music back.

54cermak said...

Love the photo to accompany your summer songs. It captures alot of what summer (early summer anyway) in Ohio is like better than a more obvious sunny photo ever would.

Dane said...

Thank you! It's one of the two best I've ever taken, I think.

Sparkleneely said...

No worries, I found your address and the cd is on its way. I included the Shawn Lee, so THANK YOU! I hope you like it...

xoxoxo

Dane said...

Eee! Thanks, I'd love to hear it.

Disclaimer:

Music is posted for a short time, and while I use it in part to (hopefully, though not always) go along with the theme of the photo, I also post it in hopes someone will give it a try and fall in love with it as I have. Perhaps they will then seek out more by the artist and buy more cds. That's how it works with me, anyway. If you like it, pick it up at the store; support the artists you love.

Links


Music
Ain't Superstitious But
AM, Then FM
Another Nickel In The Machine
Any Major Dude With Half a Heart
Barely Awake In Frog Pajamas
Blowin’ Your Cover
Blowupdoll
Crying All the Way to the Chip Shop
Curiously Tasty Music
Cylinder Preservation and Digitization Project (Downloadable/streamable mp3s from the early days of recorded music)
Dartman’s World of Wonder
DustySevens
Echoes in the Wind
Fong Songs
The Ghost of Electricity
Locust St.
Lost In The '80s
Oreo Cookie Blues
Out of 5
Skipfish Music
Star Maker Machine
TV Theme Music & Songs
The Vinyl District
The Vinyl Villain
What’s That Called? (music from tv commercials)


And four great resources for finding more music blogs:
elbo.ws
Hype Machine
Retro Music Snob
Rock God Cred

Photography
2007+12205
Abandoned Ohio
bomobob
En Passant
From a Motel 6
Flickr: Jacob K
Flickr: Joey Harrison
Flickr: Me
I Found Your Camera
Jeff Lamb Photo
low revolution
Modern Ruins Photographic Essays by Shaun O’Boyle
My Bad Pictures
P-Log
Pinkie Style
Shorpy
Silverbased
What About the Plastic Animals?

Fun
97 Things To Do Before I Turn 97
BlogHer
Damn Interesting
Fabulon
Forgotten Ohio
Geektress
Hillbilly, Please
If Charlie Parker Was A Gunslinger, There'd Be a Whole Lot of Dead Copycats
John Rozum
Jon's Random Acts of Geekery
Married to the Sea
Neato Coolville
The Non-Adventures of Wonderella
Posie Gets Cosy
PostSecret
print & pattern
Retrocrush
Roadside Architecture
sfgirlbybay
Smitten Kitchen
A Sweet Unrest
Wondermark

Horror/True Crime/Grim & Morbid
Castle of Spirits
Crime Library
Find a Death
Green Lawn Abbey
The Horrors of It All
Mad Mad Mad Mad Movies
The Terror Trap
Weird Hollow, a haunted subdivision of Neato Coolville


Blog Archive

Followers

Add to Technorati Favorites