Sunday, May 25, 2008

Frank, Pt. 3

Frank worked with many extremely talented people and he was a part of some great duets and collaborations, and today's post is devoted to some of those. (Including some Christmas music. Why not? It may be nearly June, but it's not like it's warm out yet.)

While I have the first Duets cd, for the most part, the whole "duet where someone isn't actually there" thing leaves me cold. I last listened to it a long, long time ago, and don't remember much from it in particular. I never got the second one.

There are a couple duets of that sort I like though; one is from Very Special Christmas 2. It's Cyndi Lauper horning in, no pun intended, on Frank's 1947 recording of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town." I love the original too, but I really like her voice and I think she adds a little something fun to it.

Another is actually from Duets; the theme from the movie "New York, New York," which is a classic, but still benefits from Tony Bennett's presence here. He sounds like he's having a ball, and who wouldn't be?

Speaking of Christmas duets, there's "We Wish You the Merriest," with Bing Crosby. I dislike Bing immensely, both as a human and a singer, and there are only two ways I can cope with him. If he's with the Andrews Sisters or Sinatra, he's diluted enough by more enjoyable performers that I can put up with him and not feel like punching him in the throat. This song is excellent, Frank is excellent, Bing ... is an extra voice. I can deal with that. This is pure midcentury Christmas, by the way; if you're looking for some Christmas music for your swingin' pad, download it.

He did two albums with Count Basie & his orchestra, and the second one, It Might as Well Be Swing," is highly recommended (in fact, I should be receiving my copy of it any day now) and having heard "I Wanna Be Around," I can see why. It starts out as a slow roll and blows into a big band finish, and makes a pretty sophisticated breakup song.

I don't know as much about the Brazilian musician Antonio Carlos Jobim as I probably should, but he was a contemporary, if not a counterpart of Sinatra's, and they did an album together, from which comes "Baubles, Bangles and Beads." I like bossa nova in general, and this song in particular, so this may be my next purchase.

And there is of course, his 1967 duet with his daughter, Nancy. "Somethin' Stupid," while admittedly a touch odd for a father/daughter song, is wistful and lovely, and their voices blend beautifully.


Frank Sinatra & Cyndi Lauper - Santa Claus is Coming to Town

Frank Sinatra & Tony Bennett - Theme from New York, New York


Frank Sinatra & Bing Crosby - We Wish You the Merriest

Frank Sinatra & Count Basie - I Wanna Be Around

Frank Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim - Baubles, Bangles and Beads

Frank Sinatra & Nancy Sinatra - Somethin' Stupid

No comments:

Disclaimer:

Music is posted for a short time, and while I use it in part to (hopefully, though not always) go along with the theme of the photo, I also post it in hopes someone will give it a try and fall in love with it as I have. Perhaps they will then seek out more by the artist and buy more cds. That's how it works with me, anyway. If you like it, pick it up at the store; support the artists you love.

Links


Music
Ain't Superstitious But
AM, Then FM
Another Nickel In The Machine
Any Major Dude With Half a Heart
Barely Awake In Frog Pajamas
Blowin’ Your Cover
Blowupdoll
Crying All the Way to the Chip Shop
Curiously Tasty Music
Cylinder Preservation and Digitization Project (Downloadable/streamable mp3s from the early days of recorded music)
Dartman’s World of Wonder
DustySevens
Echoes in the Wind
Fong Songs
The Ghost of Electricity
Locust St.
Lost In The '80s
Oreo Cookie Blues
Out of 5
Skipfish Music
Star Maker Machine
TV Theme Music & Songs
The Vinyl District
The Vinyl Villain
What’s That Called? (music from tv commercials)


And four great resources for finding more music blogs:
elbo.ws
Hype Machine
Retro Music Snob
Rock God Cred

Photography
2007+12205
Abandoned Ohio
bomobob
En Passant
From a Motel 6
Flickr: Jacob K
Flickr: Joey Harrison
Flickr: Me
I Found Your Camera
Jeff Lamb Photo
low revolution
Modern Ruins Photographic Essays by Shaun O’Boyle
My Bad Pictures
P-Log
Pinkie Style
Shorpy
Silverbased
What About the Plastic Animals?

Fun
97 Things To Do Before I Turn 97
BlogHer
Damn Interesting
Fabulon
Forgotten Ohio
Geektress
Hillbilly, Please
If Charlie Parker Was A Gunslinger, There'd Be a Whole Lot of Dead Copycats
John Rozum
Jon's Random Acts of Geekery
Married to the Sea
Neato Coolville
The Non-Adventures of Wonderella
Posie Gets Cosy
PostSecret
print & pattern
Retrocrush
Roadside Architecture
sfgirlbybay
Smitten Kitchen
A Sweet Unrest
Wondermark

Horror/True Crime/Grim & Morbid
Castle of Spirits
Crime Library
Find a Death
Green Lawn Abbey
The Horrors of It All
Mad Mad Mad Mad Movies
The Terror Trap
Weird Hollow, a haunted subdivision of Neato Coolville


Blog Archive

Followers

Add to Technorati Favorites